Tank museum in Kubinka, Hall N6 (Auto and armored Nazi Germany — Third Reich) exhibit list
German heavy self-propelled gun SU-88 «Ferdinand» / «Elephant» (as the soviet classification), 1943 (covered heavy self-propelled gun), serial
The Elefant (German for «elephant») is a Schwerer Panzerjäger (German: «heavy tank-hunter»)—a tank destroyer. It was built in small numbers in 1943 under the name Ferdinand after its designer Ferdinand Porsche, using tank corps that had been produced for the Tiger I tank requirement but was rejected in favour of a Henschel design.
In late 1943 and early 1944 self-propelled guns, were modernized and became known as «Elephant.» (An order to rename the AG came February 27, 1944)
German classification names — 8,8 cm StuK 43 Sfl L/71 Panzerjäger Tiger (P), Sturmgeschütz mit 8,8 cm StuK 43 and Sd.Kfz.184.
Heavy tank destroyer Assault gun ‘Ferdinand’
Tactical technical characteristics of Assault Gun Ferdinand / Elefant:
- Weight — 68 tons
- Crew — 6 people (driver, radio-operator, commander, gunner, two loaders)
- Overall dimensions (length x width x height) — 8180 х 3430 х 3000 mm.
- Weaponry: cannon — 8.8 cm Pak 43/2 L/71, also known as StuK 43/1 , caliber — 88 mm., ammunition- 63 shots
- machin gun MG-34 (Elefant only) — 1 piece, caliber — 7,92 mm., ammunition — 2000 shots
- The armor protection: front and turret — 200 mm.
- Engine power — 600 (2 x 300) hp
- Maximum speed — 20 km / h
- Cruising on the highway — up to 120 km
- Depth overcome the water barrier — 1.2 meters
Ferdinand / Elefant design features:
Base – heavy tank Tiger (P).
The overall layout — typical for self-propelled units. Weapons — gun installed on the machine and has a horizontal firing angle 24 °, elevation 15 «declination -7.5»; Linkage screw gun; the panoramic sight.
Armory protection — from rolled armor plates; the head-on parts made of the body (of the two armor plates), connected by a screw-type «goujon»
Chassis — two gasoline engines «Maybach», coupled with a DC generator voltage 385 V, power 210-260 kW; each engine has a separate power supply, cooling, lubrication, ignition and starter; Power Train — electromechanical; suspension with longitudinal torsion bars, rubber stoppers stroke balancers; the rollers with internal shock absorbers.
Note that there are NOT a machine gun at the front desk (installed latter at Elefant model after the modernization)